Thursday, November 27, 2008

Homemade Chicken Broth

Okay so the other day in the market I needed chicken broth. I went to pick up a can at 99 cents and thought, 2 cups of chicken broth for 99 cents? Why am i wasting money on something I can make. So....here's what I did.

I unthawed a chicken (it was two 1/2 chickens i had bought on sale for $1 a lb - $4). I cut up 2 onions, 3 carrots and 3 stalks of celery (or was it 4) - approx. $1 worth of vegetables.
Photobucket
Put it in my largest pot (which happens to be my canning pot, with the jar holder removed).
Photobucket
Added about 8 quarts of water.
Photobucket
Boiled it all together for an hour or so (honestly couldn't tell you how long it was, till it looked done - don't you love my cooking methods LOL)
Photobucket
Separated out the chicken and vegetables -
Photobucket
Here's my nice batch of broth - i should say the first batch.
Photobucket
Then i cooled everything and picked off the chicken to store for a later meal (honestly could be 2 meals really, since there's just 3 of us).
Photobucket
Then on to the second batch of broth. I took the chicken bones, and the vegetables again and boiled another smaller batch of broth.
Photobucket

Here's the totals - 1 large package of chicken picked from the bone. 40 cups of broth in various containers and bags frozen for later use. For $5 and some of my time.
This would have cost $20 at the store just for the broth (approx. 99 cents a can x 20 cans) and the cost of the chicken $4. So in the store $24.
Can't beat $19 savings right?

Stay tuned for more adventures in "making it cheaper than the store".

2 comments:

Diana said...

This is awesome. I will be doing this soon, only I will can it of course. You know how I love canning! :D

Unknown said...

I was going to can mine too, but i was being lazy and didn't want to get the jars out and prep them, was easier to throw it in the freezer LOL